Sunday, February 1, 2015

Make It Yourself - Make It Healthy: Lipton Savory Herb & Garlic Mix

It's Superbowl Sunday and Hubby asked me to make a new dip for the big game.  It looked like an easy recipe...

Then I realized upon second glance that the key ingredient was Lipton's Savory Herb & Garlic Soup Mix.  Red Flag!  I know that many of these mixes have MSG added to them, which I prefer not to ingest if I can help it.

So I decided to search the internet for a copy cat mix recipe and stumbled upon FoodFacts.com.  I am in LOVE!  It listed all the ingredients for the Lipton Soup Mix and highlighted controversial ingredients.  Not only am I able to customize the ingredients to fit my preferences but I didn't have to spend a DIME!  I just used spices I already had in my spice cabinet.  WIN-WIN!


With this information I was able to make my own "soup mix" without ingredients I choose not to eat.  Here is the recipe I ended up using from budget101.com:

Garlic & Herb Seasoning Mix

2 tablespoons marjoram
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons rosemary
2 tablespoons basil
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper

This recipe makes a LOT of the spice mix.  You only need to use 2 or 3 tablespoons to replace for the soup mix in recipes.

Remember, knowledge is power!  Read your labels.


15 comments:

  1. Thanks! Hoping to try this out for the Lipton White Pizza Dip recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use it to replace the packets in the White Pizza Dip recipe? How much of the spice mix did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said use 2-3 TBLSPNS of the new mix to replace an entire packet. I guess it depends on how much you like it!

      Delete
  3. Thanks, really love this on roast in crockpot. Have been having a hard time finding it. No longer available at my local Wslmsrt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lipton Garlic and Herb Recipe Secrets has disappeared from my town, including the big box store, and I really miss it. I think it cost too much for people to take a chance on something unfamiliar.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for posting this! I actually called the Lipton company to see if this soup mix had been discontinued as I couldn’t find it in ANY of my local stores that used to carry this soup mix!!. I’m going to try your copycat recipe!

      Delete
    3. They don't make it anymore!! I emailed Lipton and asked. No longer in production. I'm so glad to have found this copycat recipe though!!

      Delete
  4. Thank you!!!! Love this stuff but they don't make it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I've looked everywhere for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Imagine my surprise when I googled for a copycat recipe for this after speaking with Lipton and after searching for it for months. They said its a limited production item but hasn't been discontinued. Is it really that good lol? I have seen it used in some recipes and had wanted to try it but haven't been able to locate it. I didn't want to spend alot on something I have yet to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read Lipton ingredients. Mostly chemical.
    Much better to make your own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been able to find it anywhere! Love your recipe without the msg. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How much to sub. For a whole packet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said, in the recipe, to use 2-3 TBLSPNS to replace an entire packet.

      Delete
  10. After becoming frustrated trying to find it in all of the local groceries, I just ordered it from Amazon. $17.99 for 12 boxes, so $1.50 per box, and each box contains two packets.

    ReplyDelete