Sunday, March 22, 2015

Money Saving Manicures

Sometimes I like to treat myself to a professional manicure.  But the post pampering glow always comes with a side of frustration when the first polish chip happens.  Inevitably, I am filled with regret over spending $20 to $40 on fleeting nail perfection.  

Salon professionals told me the cure to my polish woes was Shellac a gel polish.  For just $10 more (now $30 to $50 per manicure) I could have salon perfect nails for up to two weeks.  
True to their claim, the color lasted, but I didn't like the feeling of my skin sizzling under the UV light or that I couldn't remove it by myself.  And I still couldn't justify the cost.

So, what's a frugal girl with the penchant for perfect polish to do?

One solution I came up with was to bring my own polish when splurging on the occasional manicure so I can touch up chips myself and alleviate some of the guilt of spending money pampering myself.

But now with the new crop of at home gel polishes, I'm thinking all my polish prayers may have been answered!

You apply them like a regular nail polish, but they look as glossy and gorgeous as an actual gel manicure without the UV light or hefty price tag.

Here are my picks for the Best New At-Home Gel Polishes that offer long lasting wear and can be easily removed without ruining your nails:

 1. Revlon ColorStay Gel Envy Longwear Nail Enamel, $7.99 each, drugstore.com

Why it's great: The base-and-color-in-one combo lets you skip an entire step and the gel top coat strengthens nails while it protects the color.

Colors available: 30, from hot neons and jewel-tones to gorgeous neutrals


How long it lasts: Up to 10 days



2. Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Nail Polish, $9.99, drugstore.com

Why it's great: With the most chip resistent colors of all the contenders the key is the amazing topcoat, which you can use with any of the Miracle Gel polishes to lengthen its lifespan.

Colors available: 48, everything from white to neutrals to every pink you can imagine—plus some shimmery metallics.

How long it lasts: Up to 14 days


3. Nails Inc. Gel Effect Nail Polish, $14, macys.com

Why it's great: A very high level of solid pigment eliminates any streakiness and you will love the glossy, plumping effect almost makes it looks 3-D.

Colors available: 17, from moody dark shades to the happiest pastels


How long it lasts: Up to a five days



4. CoverGirl XL Nail Gel, $7.49 each, drugstore.com

Why it's great: The narrower brush makes it easier to maneuver tricky spots like the edges of your nails.  It takes a few extra minutes to dry compared to a regular nail polish, but it's so worth the wait.

Colors available: 9, including bright orange, lime green and a canary yellow

How long it lasts: Up to a week


5. Dior Vernis Gel Shine and Long Wear Nail Lacquer and Gel Coat, $27 each, nordstrom.com

Why it's great: The biggest investment of the bunch also offers the biggest shine!  These long-wearing polishes give your nails such a glossy, just-got-out-of-the-salon look, you'll forget that they're dry. Pair it with the gel coat for an extra lacquered effect.

Colors available: 28, including pretty pastels and a cool marble-like orange you will be wearing until summer's over

How long it lasts: Up to a week

No comments:

Post a Comment